Thursday, March 22, 2007


Thirteen Things about Our Bathroom Remodel

1. The previous owners of the house HID the leak instead of fixing it.

2. The previous owners of the house are idiots

3. The damage to the floor was worse than we hoped

4. The damage to the floor was better than we feared.

5. Backerboard is a tad bit thinner than sheetrock, and the bump WILL show through the tub enclosure

6. If you take a tub out of the tub enclosure there is no guarantee that it will fit back. Trust me on this one.

7. When cutting support boards, you need someway to hold them to the back of the backerboard.

8. There is a reason that the shower assembly instructions say that the holes need to be at least 6 inches apart.

9. Always budget 2x more money than you think you will need.

10. Count on at least one of your tools breaking, and another one not doing what it is supposed to do.

11. Measure 3 times, not just twice.

12. However long you think something will take, double it.

13. That shower is going to feel wonderful after all this work.



1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great post..I hope you will share pictures...We have 3 to redo and I dont even know where to start..

this was great

Kathy said...

Okay, Thank you! Now I know I will never, never remodel anything in my house! This gives me great insight without the personal expense! Thank you!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Ooh, Tina. We redid our bathroom a few years ago; I know your pain. We'd fortunately hired someone, but even then... it was our builders who were idiots. We pulled the bulkhead out of the shower and ... found an electrical wire that went... nowhere.

What in the world??? (not to mention the light over the tub that is supposed to stay on all the time. WTF????)

Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

This amuses me to no end. I started my bathroom before Rina was born. I've changed the paint on the cabinets twice; the floor has been replaced once and that didn't work, so we need another new floor; the shower wall has lived in our basement for two years; the walls were painted, then wallpapered when I realized paint on paneling looked bad, and then wallpapered again with something that actually looked good on the walls; one of the cabinets is missing a door, and all the trim has been living in the garage for oh, at least a year. Yeah. But at least I no longer have gold-flecked walls and yellow and lime green linoleum!